The best way to live healthy life is to live along with the nature instead of going against it. Our ancestors were aware of this secret and they respected mother nature by understanding and listening to her, that’s the way they stayed healthy and happy.
Once they realized the beauty of mother nature they started following her and documenting for further generations. Earlier, the education was through Smrithi (Listening) & Shruti (memorizing) and then gradually documentation was done. That’s how we have Veda’s today, secrets of nature compiled and given for mankind.
Ayurveda upaveda of Atharvana veda and Rigveda. Ayurveda describes the discipline for healthy life and curative methods for the diseased. Ayurveda is such a fascinating subject where the peers with no help of modern science could identify the cause and its treatment. They were so superior in their knowledge that they gave exact count of bones, vessels, cells in our body!
GOU KSHEERA (Cow milk) : All products from cow are used in several ways for several purposes in Ayurveda, no wonder cow is called as ‘Kamadhenu’. We shall deal with each benefit in various articles. Let’s start with Cow milk which stands most important among all.
Milk is considered as Nitya Rasayana / Ajarsrika Rasayana – which can be consumed daily.
Prosperities of Cow milk:
Madhura – Sweet by taste Sheeta – Cold by potency
Mrudhu – Soft Snigdha – Oily, unctuous
Bahala – Density Slakshana – Smoothnes
Pichhila – Slimness, stickiness Guru – Heavy
Manda – Slow Prasanna – calm, pleasing
Ojas holds same qualities, hence milk promotes ojas and also known as best Rasayana which is allowed to take daily.
• Dhatu vardhaka – Nourishes the tissues, hence it is good in children and person affected by vata
• Jeevaneyam – Rejuvinator
• Medhyam – Improves strength, intelligence, memory, grasping
• Vrishya – Its best and instant Aphrodisiac
• Sthanyakara – improves/ increases breast milk in lactating mother.
Cow milk indicated in tiredness, giddiness, thirst, hunger, dry cough, disease of urinary system, chronic fever, bleeding disorder, intoxication.
TRIDOSHA & MILK
Cow milk increases Kapha and pacifies vata & Pitta.
INTERESTING FACTORS ABOUT MILK AS PER AYURVEDA
• Acharya’s have selected 8 main source of milk & detailed the qualities. (cow, buffalo, goat, elephant, donkey, unicorn, camel, mother’s milk.)
• Acharya’s have also described the qualities of milk based on color of the cow & have considered milk of black cow as ‘ sarva shreshta’.
• Even shelf life of milk is being discussed in detail.
• Milk consumed with sugar increases/ helps in semen production. If mixed with jaggery increases pitta and kapha dosha, helpful in disorders of urinary system.
QUALITIES OF BOILED AND UNBOILED MILK.
Heavy for digestion, increases kapha dosha & ama karaka (toxins/ undigested food), blocks the channels, and its not recommended for intake.
But cow and buffalo milk have an exception to this.
• Generally boiled milk pacifies Kapha and Vata.
• Boiled and cooled pacifies Pitta dosha.
• 1 part milk + ½ part water, boil and reduced to 1 part, it is very light for digestion and opt for consumption.
DO’s and DON’T’s of Milk:-
Best time to drink milk
o It’s the most common question which arises among common people. Here are few things to be noticed.
o Milked in the evening and consumed in the evening is highly beneficial, it relives Kapha dosha, light for digestion(its recommended).
o When consumed in the morning, nourishes tissues, improves digestion.
o When consumed in noon, it increases taste of the food, helpful in urinary track disorders & calculus.
o Drinking in night a/c to age
o kids – improves appetite.
o Elderly person – increases over all strength
o Emaciated person – promotes tissue strength.
o The one who consumes milk in the night will have good health because it pacifies all vitiated dosha’s & good for eyes.
o One should consume milk in the night especially when had spicy, oily food.
o When you have fever, low appetite, skin disorders, body pains, cough, diarrhea, intestinal worms, milk is not recommended for consumption.
What is good and not good along with Milk
These can be added/ mixed with milk for consumption
o Ripened mango, honey, ghee, butter, ginger, pipper longam, pepper, sugar, barley.
These should not be added/ mixed with milk
o Fish, meat, moongdal, radish, banana, jamoon fruit (Indian black berries), green leafy vegetables, fermented liquids, food which are hot in potency, oil, mustard, lemon, sour pomegranate, jack fruit, bamboo, bilwa, wood apple.
KEY TAKEAWAY: When Milk is used wisely with proper combinations, it acts as a Nectar. Now a days people tend to have fruit milk shakes, which according to Ayurveda is apthya, virudda ahara (in long use leads to severe health issues, like skin, longevity, immunity etc.). So, follow the food regimen advised by our own ancestors who had knowledge of climatic changes and prakruti of our land. Each food pattern has its own meaning based on region it belongs; when you belong to a land/region, please follow the basic rules of food and lifestyle. Let’s move towards the nature and live close to her.
* Charaka samhita * Sushruta samhita * Sushruta samhita * Bhava prakasha
* Yoga ratna kara * Ashtanga hrudaya