In day to day life we come across different people of different age group, mindset, built, characteristics. This is explained in Ayurveda under the topic “PRAKRUTI”.
“प्रक्रुतिर्नामयत्रजन्ममरणान्तरालभाविनीगर्भावक्रान्तिसमयेस्वकारणोन्द्रेक जनितानिर्विकारिणीदोषस्थिति:।“ (रसवैशेशिकसूत्र 1:6)
Prakruti is defined as characteristics of an individual which is predetermined by the SUKRA ( Semen) and SHONITA (Ovum) of the parents, which remains with Him / Her till death.
Predominantly classified into seven types. They are
- Vata – Pittaja
- Pitta – Kaphaja
- Kapha – Vataja
- Tridoshaja (Sannipataja)
- Built: Alpa (short), dheerga(tall), bahu kandara sira pradanam (prominent veins and nerves)
- Eyes: chala drishti (constant eye movements), dhoomra (smoky eyes)
- Skin: Dry and Scaly skin
- Hair: Dry and less hair
- Sandhi (Joints): cracking sound in joints
- Appetite: Vishama (Irregular), Bahu-bhuk (Likes eating different types of food)
- Gati: Laghu (Small steps), Chapala Gati (Fast steps), Druta (Mixed steps)
- Voice: Dry, Rough and Different slangs
- Sleep: Alpa nidra (less sleep)
- Dream: Gagana swapna (sees sky, travelling, space etc., in dreams)
- Strength:alpa bala (low strength)
- Food likings: Likes hot and spicy foods
- Qualities of Mind (Manasa bhava) : Nastika, Confused, Easy grasping, easy forgetting, blabbering, dreamy.
- Built: Krisha (lean)
- Eyes: Thin and less eyelashes, reddish / brownish eyes
- Skin: Fair, hot on touch, lot of moles and more sweat
- Hair: less hair, soft hair, early greying and hairfall
- Sandhi (Joints): looseness of joints
- Appetite: eats more, digests fast
- Voice: Strong and Confident
- Sleep: Distrubed Sleep
- Dream: Thunder, Lightning and violent dreams
- Strength:Moderate strength
- Food likings: Likes cold foods
- Qualities of Mind (Manasa bhava): Brilliant, has courtesy, brave, well mannered, withstands stress, charity, short tempered, skilled, leadership quality.
- Built: well built, good looking
- Eyes: Blue/ reddish eyes, Thick eyelashes
- Skin: less sweat, Bright skin
- Hair: Thick, strong, long hairs
- Sandhi (Joints): Flexible and strong joints
- Appetite: less eater, less digestive power
- Gait: walks slowly, properly
- Voice: Bold and Loud voice
- Sleep: Always sleepy
- Dream: sees Garden, parks, water, ponds etc.,
- Strength:Uttama bala (good strength)
- Food likings:Likes hot and spicy foods
- Qualities of Mind (Manasa bhava): Good memory, stable mind, shy, less cry, patience, thankful, obedient, stable friendship.
Vata Pittaja prakruti:
- Qualities of both Vataja and Pittaja prakruti combined together.
Pitta Kaphaja prakruti:
- Qualities of both Pittaja and Kaphaja prakruti combined together.
Kapha Vataja prakruti:
- Qualities of both Kaphaja and Vataja prakruti combined together.
- Qualities of Vata, Pitta and Kapha combined together.
- This Sannipataja prakruti is known to be Shrestha (Best among all prakruti)
The knowledge of Prakruti is very essential for a Vaidya for analysis and treatment of different types of diseases. Prakruti is an important tool to frame the Diet and Lifestyle changes needed to overcome the disease.
ABOUT THE WRITER:
The writer Dr.Chandan Singh is an Ayurvedic consultant, practicing at Chennai also visiting Consultant at Bramhi vaidhyalaya, Banglore.